ORAL SPEECH SITUATIONS
Ticket 1. Family
1. Let’s talk about family. What role does it play in each person’s life?
2. Do you agree that modern families have many difficulties?
3.What will you ask your British friend about his or her family?
4.What can you advise a person who wants to have a happy family?
5.They say: “Every family is happy in its own way”. Explain why.
Ticket 2. Family Traditions
1. Let’s talk about family traditions. Are there any family traditions that you follow?
2.Do you agree that family traditions unite a family?
3. What will you ask your British friend about his or her family traditions?
4.What family traditions would you advise to follow?
5. Family traditions are an important part of a happy family life. Explain why.
Ticket 3. Family Relationships
1. Let's talk about family relationships. Do you get on well with your parents?
2. Do you agree that children should be brought up strictly? Why?
3. Imagine you are invited to spend a couple of days in your pen-friend's family in London. Ask him about their family relationships.
4.What would you advise people who are thinking about divorce?
5. Generation gap is much spoken about. What do you think about this problem?
Ticket 4. Friendship
1.Let’s speak about friendship. What role do friends play in your life?
2.Do you agree that friends should have much in common?
3.What questions do you usually ask when you want to get acquainted with someone?
4. What can you advise to a teenager who has no friends?
5.They say: “ A person has just one true friend”. What do you think about it?
Ticket 5. Education
1. Let's talk about education. Do you agree that everyone needs it?
2. Do you agree that Belarusian secondary school provides a person with good knowledge? Why not?
3. Imagine you are talking to your peer from England about schooling. What questions would you ask him/her about British educational system?
4.Your friend doesn't know what to do after finishing school. Give some advice.
5.What is your idea of an ideal school?
Ticket 6. School
1. Let’s talk about school. What is your school like?
2.Do you agree that our school gives a person a good start in life? Why? Why not?
3. Ask me what kind of pupil I was at school.
4.You are talking with a British student. What would you advise him to do to prepare for an exam?
5.School is an unforgettable experience. Explain why.
Ticket 7. School Traditions
1. Let’s talk about school traditions. Are there many traditions in your school?
2.School is not just a place for learning. Do you agree?
3. Imagine that you had a chance to speak with British students about their school traditions. What would you ask them about?
4.Which school club would you advise your classmate to join?
5.People are eager to come back to school and meet their old teachers and friends. Explain why.
Ticket 8. Choosing a Career
1.Let's talk about your future profession. What are your professional plans? What is your career goal? What would you like to achieve?
2.Do you agree that the knowledge of a foreign language is necessary to be a success? Why?
3. If you interviewed a person for a job of a teacher what questions would you ask him/her?
4.Your friend is interested in choosing the right career. Give him advice.
5.What can good work mean for different people? What is it for you?
Ticket 9. Life in the city and in the country
1.Let’s talk about life in the country and in the city.
2. Do you agree that young people prefer to live in the city?
3. Ask a village citizen about the advantages of life in the country.
4. A foreigner is moving to Belarus. Advise him where to live.
5. Where would you like to live in a city or in the country? Why? Why not?
Ticket 10. Different Types of Houses
1. Let's talk about types of dwelling. Do you live in a house or in a fiat? What is there in your house/flat?
2.Do you agree that living in a country house is better than living in a modern flat? Why?
3.Your friend from England has come to your place. You are talking about types of dwelling. What questions would you ask him/her?
4.Your friend wants to move into a new house but doesn't know what to start from. Give him some advice.
5. They say that the room in which you live reflects your character and personality. What do you think about this idea?
Ticket 11.Belarusian national cuisine
1. Let’s talk about eating habits in Belarus;
2.Do you agree that Belarusian food is tasty?
3. Ask your friend about his\ her favourite Belarusian dish.
4.What national dishes can you recommend a tourist to taste in Belarus?
5.Do you like Belarusian national food? Why? Why not?
Ticket 12. Cuisine of English-speaking countries
1. Let’s talk about national cuisines. What do you know about British and American food? 2. Do you agree that American food is more popular than British one?
3. What questions can you ask a British friend about their national cuisine?
4.What national dishes would you recommend to order in a British restaurant?
5. Fast food is very popular all over the world. Do you like it? Why? Why not?
Ticket 13. Shopping
1. Let’s talk about shopping. Who does the shopping in your family?
2.Do you like shopping? Why? Why not?
3.What questions can you ask your friend about the best shopping places in your native town?
4. Advise your friend how to spend his\ her pocket money.
5.Shopping is a good therapy. Explain why.
Ticket 14. Leisure Time
1.Let’s talk about your free time activities. What do you like doing in your free time?
2.Do you agree that everybody chooses a hobby according to their interests?
3.What questions would you ask a British teenager about his free time?
4.Give me some advice where to spend my free time.
5.Do you have much free time? How do you spend it?
Ticket 15. Belarusian Customs and Traditions
1.Imagine you arc writing an article for Wikipedia about Belarusian customs and traditions. Give 3 or 4 brief descriptions on the topic.
2.Do you agree that teenagers do not know very much about Belarusian culture? Why?
3. Imagine you are given the chance to visit Kupalle celebration with your British friend. Ask him/her about his/her impressions.
4.What traditions and customs would you recommend a British teenager to learn about?
5. National customs and traditions are a part of culture. Explain why.
Ticket 16. Customs and Traditions of an English-speaking country
1. After your 3-months stay in Great Britain you were invited to make a report on British customs and traditions for the younger children in your school. What would you speak about?
2. Do you find some British traditions special? Why?
3.You are to write a report about customs and traditions of Britain. Ask your British friend some questions to get necessary information.
4.Your friend is going to Great Britain in spring. Give her some advice about holiday to take part in.
5.You should know the history of the country to understand national traditions. Explain why.
Ticket 17. Modern Means of Communication
1.Let's talk about mass media. What types of mass media do you know? Which of them are the most popular among teens?
2.Do you agree that radio is the least popular mass medium? Why?
3.What questions would you ask people who live without TV set?
4.Imagine that you are at the newsagent's with your friend who knows almost nothing about Belarusian newspapers and magazines but would like to buy some. Recommend him/her anything to buy.
5.Speak about the reasons why computer can replace all the other means of mass media.
Ticket 18. A Healthy Way of Life
1.Let's talk about health. Do you keep yourself healthy? What do you do to stay healthy?
2.Do you agree that overeating is harmful for health? Why?
3. Imagine you are talking to your friend about healthy lifestyle. What questions would you ask him/her?
4.There are pupils in our gymnasium who smoke. Advise them what to do to give up smoking.
5.What is the best way to follow a healthy lifestyle? Explain your idea.
Ticket 19. Sports
1. Let’s talk about sports. What do you do to keep fit?
2.Do you agree that doing sports is necessary for a healthy way of life?
3.What questions would you ask a professional sportsman?
4. What can you advise a person who doesn’t know what kind of sports to take up? 5. What are your sports preferences?
1. Let’s talk about fashion. What role does fashion play in your life?
2.Do you prefer fashionable clothes to comfortable ones? Why? Why not?
3.What questions would you ask a fashion designer?
4.What can you advise a person who wants to be fashionable?
5.They say: “Fashions come and go, style is forever”. Explain why.
Ticket 21. Travelling and Tourism
1. Let's talk about travelling and tourism. What types of tourism do you know? Which one do you prefer? Why?
2.Do you agree that travelling with friends is much more interesting than travelling with parents? Why?
3.Imagine you are going to another country on holiday. What questions would you ask at a travel agency as to the place, the accommodation, the transport, etc.?
4.Give advice to your friend on how to spend summer holiday and where to go.
5.Have you ever travelled abroad? If yes, tell about your trip. If no, tell about the trip you'd like to have.
Ticket 22. Environment
1.Let's talk about environmental problems. What types of pollution do you know?
2.Do you agree that air pollution is a cause of people's health problems? Why?
3.Imagine you are interviewing a person who survived Chernobyl catastrophe. What questions would you ask him/ her?
4.Give advice on how to become more environment-friendly.
5. Are you for or against animal experimentation? Why?
Ticket 23. Weather and climate
1.Let’s talk about weather and climate. What is your favourite season?
2. Are you weather dependent?
3. What questions would you ask a British person about their weather?
4.Advise a foreigner what is the best season to come to Belarus.
5.They say: “There is no bad weather, there are bad clothes”. What do you think about it?
Ticket 24. The Republic of Belarus
1.Let's talk about Belarus. What can you tell us about our native land?
2.Do you agree that the national symbols of the Republic of Belarus represent the country and its people properly? Explain your point of view.
3.Imagine that our gymnasium is receiving a group of British pupils. What would you ask them to share the impressions on our country?
4.Give advice to a foreigner what places of interest to visit in Belarus.
5.They say that Belarus is at the crossroads of Europe. Explain why.
Ticket 25. Great Britain
1. Let's talk about Britain. What do you know about this country?
2.What part of Great Britain would you like to visit? Why?
3.Imagine that your friend spent a month in Britain. What questions would you ask him / her?
4.Your friend has only one day to stay in London. Advise him what places of interest are worth visiting.
5.Comment the statement that British people are proud of their country.